Thursday, January 27, 2011

Book for Writers

This semester, I am taking my first college writing class called "advanced composition". One of our books is "Style: Lessons in Clarity and Grace" by Joseph Williams, and my class has begun to read it. Even though we have not gotten very far, I recommend this book for writers, both fiction and non-fiction. The book tells you how to avoid dense sentences that leave your readers scratching their heads and basically how to write clearly yet to have style. It also has some helpful tips on grammatical rules (like which ones are real and when you can bend or break them at times). The book is clearly written and presents the concepts in a simple way, and the rules and such in them are true for all writers. I recommend that aspiring writers look into it for tips on improving their prose and their writing style.

No comments:

Post a Comment